Hi, I’m Marcea and this is my recipe blog where I celebrate my love for plant-based food. In addition to being meat and dairy-free, most of my recipes are free of gluten refined and processed foods.
Tofu and Vegetable Quiche
Vegetarian and Vegan (see substitute)
Choose whatever organic seasonal vegetables you found at the market this week if you don’t have the ones listed. You can also use leftover cooked vegetables from the night before. Freshen them up with some chopped parsley or coriander before folding into the tofu mixture.
¾ cup organic oat flour
½ cup ground organic activated almonds
½ cup organic rice or buckwheat flour
½ teaspoon Sea or Himalayan salt
3 tablespoons organic coconut or olive oil
Water as needed
300 grams organic blanched regular tofu
1-tablespoon organic olive or coconut oil
1 teaspoon organic chopped garlic
1 tablespoon organic finely chopped gingerroot
1 teaspoon organic dried herbs or 1 tablespoon fresh seasonal (rosemary, oregano, basil)
1 cup organic chopped onion or spring onion
1 cup organic grated carrot
1/2 cup organic grated beetroot
½ cup organic chopped kale or other green vegetables
2-3 eggs free-range and organic or Vegan Egg substitute **
1 tablespoon organic Shiro Miso
¼ cup organic almond, sesame, other nut butter or coconut oil
1 tablespoon organic lemon juice or 1-teaspoon mustard
1cup organic cooked sweet potato
1-2 Tablespoons organic Shiro Miso
1-2 Tablespoons organic Coconut yoghurt
1-2 teaspoons organic ginger juice
a few organic wild fermented vegetables*
- If you don’t have any ferments, try goji berries, grated coconut, ground nuts or seeds, grated lemon or orange rind, rosemary and dollops of yoghurt. If you have ferments any will be fine. I used Wild fermented turmeric cauliflower, carrots, red cabbage, and lemon sauerkraut, olives and fresh rosemary from the garden.
- In a bowl, mix together all the crust ingredients. Preheat the oven to 200C (180 C fan assisted) 400 F.
- Press into an oiled pie dish, and poke a few holes using a fork then bake for 10 minutes or until it looks light brown.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Cut the tofu and drop into boiling water 2-3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat skillet add the oil and sauté the garlic and ginger 1-2 minutes. Then add the dry herbs and sauté another 30-60 seconds. Add the onions and continue to sauté until they are transparent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables cover and cook a few minutes. (if using cooked vegetables cook the onions till soft then add the cooked vegetables.
- Blend the tofu in a food processor and slowly add the rest of the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add a bit of water if needed till the consistency is droppable from a spoon.
- Fold in vegetables. Spoon into prepared base and bake 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend or mash the topping ingredients. Taste and adjust to your taste. Remove pie from the oven, cool slightly then spread with topping and top with ferments. if you don’t have any ferments, top with crushed almonds, goji berries and grated lemon and orange rind. Serve warm or cool.
** Vegan Egg Substitute: Use one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water to replace one egg. Freshly grind the flax seeds into a fine powder using a coffee or spice grinder. Whisk in the water until it becomes gelatinous.
Chick Bean Slice
Vegan, Vegetarian, GF, DF
Use Organic and BPA free ingredients when available
2 ½ -3 cups chickpeas
1 cup goji berries and/or sultanas ( ½-1/2)
¾ cup ground almonds or walnuts
¼ cup cacao
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup brown rice or almond flour as needed
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
½ cup soy, coconut milk or other plant milk as needed
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup tahini or other nut butter
½ cup maple syrup or 1 cup rice syrup to taste
2-3 teaspoons Shiro Miso
Organic Paleo Museli (apple and cinnamon) *
Organic Buckini (activated buckwheat) Deluxe*
Organic goji berries, coconut, groundnuts, puffed amaranth or quinoa, cinnamon, dried fruit, coconut
- Strain off liquid from beans and reserve. (can use chickpea juice (aquafaba) for a whipped cream topping.
- Toss all dried ingredients together. Set aside,
- Stir together ground flax seeds, milk, and vanilla and set aside.
- Oil pan and preheat oven to 175C. Combine nut butter, sweetener, and miso together slowly incorporating the beans till chunky.
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Adjust liquid content with plant milk as needed till it drops with difficulty from a mixing spoon.
- Spoon into baking pan. Bake in oven 30-40 minutes or until the centre is set and the edges pull away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven place on a wire rack to cool then remove it from the pan and cut into desired shapes.
Brush with rice or maple syrup and dip into different mixes of museli, or make your own with coconut, goji berries, crushed nuts, sesame seeds, puffed quinoa or amaranth.