Vegan Plant-based, GF
Socca is a popular dish in and around the area of Nice, France and province of Genoa, Italy. In Italy, where it originated. It is a simple and savoury flatbread made with chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour) making it gluten free, grain free and a good source of protein and fibre.
Use Organic Ingredients when available
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup warm filtered water
1 Tablespoon sauerkraut, pickle brine or sourdough starter, miso (optional)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. dried rosemary (or oregano, or sage)
¼ tsp. salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Additional olive oil cooking if needed
4 Tablespoons sweet potato puree, hummus or anything you like
10 – 12 olives, sauerkraut, etc.
2 spring onions, fine chopped
4-6 tablespoons sautéed kale, purple cabbage or Chinese greens
Other leftover vegetables, capsicum, tomatoes, broccoli
Coconut yoghurt mixed with a few teaspoons Shiro miso (optional)
Thinly sliced purple onions
Yield one- 25 cm. round or about three 10 cm. rounds
- Combine the chickpea flour with warm water in a medium bowl or mason jar, and mix well. Add in tablespoon sauerkraut, brine or sourdough starter if using.
2. Cover and allow to sit overnight or for at least 8 hours. When ready stir in the olive oil, herb, and salt & pepper. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. Heat the oven to 450F/220 C. Put a cast-iron skillet (Solid Teknics* is best) or pizza pan in the oven to warm or on a cooktop.
3. Remove the pan, pour 2 tablespoons of the oil into it and swirl. Add the spring onions return the pan to the oven or cooktop and cook, stirring once or twice 1-2 minutes. Stir in the rosemary.
4. Add the spring onions and rosemary into the batter, then immediately pour the batter back into the pan. Sprinkle on some thin onion strips. Bake or cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pancake is firm and the edges set.
5. Heat the grill** and brush the top of the pancake with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry. Set the pancake a few inches away from the grill and cook just long enough to brown it in spots. (optional step)
6. Put on toppings, cover with coconut/miso mixture and put under the grill a few minutes.
You can just stop with the greens and cabbage or top with lots of veg and ferments too !
**If cooking on a stove, just flip over and follow instructions to finish.
- Solidteknics cookware are made in Australia and are the healthiest, and more sustainable pans you can buy.