Skip to content
- 3 tablespoons unpasteurized organic rice or barley miso
- 2-3 tablespoons organic coconut sugar or rice honey
- ½-3/4 cup stock or water
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 2 clove pressed garlic
- 3 tablespoons mirin rice wine
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- the grated rind of organic orange or lemon rind
- 1 slice of a large eggplant
- oil for deep frying
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a tray with baking paper
- Start making miso sauce marinade (see below)
- Slice the eggplant in half, lengthways, then score the flesh in a diagonal pattern, taking care not to slice through the skin
- Brush all over with sesame oil and cook, skin-side down, in a frying pan for 2-3 minutes until the bottoms flatten and the incisions begin to open.
- Turn over and cook cut-side down for around 2 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to prepared tray.
- Spoon miso sauce over the cut sides of the eggplant until it runs into the incisions
- The leftover marinade can be refrigerated
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender and shiny
- Scatter with toasted sesame seeds if desired
- In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients except the vinegar, eggplant, oil
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently
- Stir in the grated rind.
- Taste and adjust. Set aside.
- Miso sauce can be kept refrigerated up to 30 days in a glass container