3 tablespoons unpasteurized organic rice or barley miso
2-3 tablespoons organic coconut sugar or rice honey
½-3/4 cup stock or water
2 teaspoons grated ginger root
2 clove pressed garlic
3 tablespoons mirin rice wine
1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
the grated rind of organic orange or lemon rind
1 slice of a large eggplant
oil for deep frying
seasonal lettuce and sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Make miso sauce. marinade (see below).
3. Slice the eggplant in half, lengthways, then score the flesh in a diagonal pattern, taking
care not to slice through the skin.
4. Brush all over with sesame oil and cook, skin-side down, in a frying pan for 2-3
minutes until the bottoms flatten and the incisions begin to open. Turn over and cook
cut-side down for around 2 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to prepared tray.
5. Spoon miso sauce over the cut sides of the eggplant until it runs into the incisions.
Leftover marinade can be refrigerated. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender and shiny.
Scatter with toasted sesame seeds and lettuce if desired.
In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients except the vinegar, eggplant, oil, and lettuce. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in the grated rind.
- Taste and adjust. Set aside.
Miso sauce can be kept refrigerated up to 30 days in a glass container.