Use Organic ingredients when available
Agar is the vegetarian sister of gelatine and can be used for the perfect chilled summer dessert. Great for the holidays or even as a cooling refreshing breakfast or brunch dish. Agar is a sea vegetable gelatine and contains proteins, polysaccharides, minerals, and vitamins.
Christmas Mango-Coconut Pie Ingredients
- 1-2 cups mango flesh for puree (1 ½ -2 mangos)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 T agar-agar flakes or 2 t. powder
- 2 tablespoon maple or 4 T. rice syrup (to taste)
- ½ cup fruit juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 T agar flakes
- 1 tablespoon maple or 2 T. rice syrup
- pinch of sea or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup blackberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple or 2 T. rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
Christmas Mango-Coconut Pie Method
- Pureé the mango pieces to a smooth pulp. Set aside.
- Combine the water, agar-agar, and sweetener. Use a whisk to stir until the agar dissolves completely.
- Add the mango pureé and continue to stir and cook for a minute. Add vanilla.
- Pour into a glass or ceramic pie dish or square mold. Fill ½-3/4 full. Drop some blueberries into the liquid.
- Let it sit at room temperature to set completely. You may refrigerate to speed up the process, but it is not necessary. If you refrigerate bring the jelly back to room temperature (otherwise the coconut layer won’t stick properly).
- Combine the water, sweetener salt, and agar-agar in a small pan over medium heat. Make sure the agar and sweetener are completely dissolved.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to stir until the coconut milk is fragrant. Do not let it come to a boil. You want it to be hot, but not boiling. Set aside for a few minutes.
- While the coconut milk is still hot, pour over the mango layer. Make sure the coconut milk is warm otherwise the two layers won’t ‘stick’ and will come apart while serving.
- Cool and prepare the raspberry topping.
1. Combine all the ingredients together and process until almost smooth. You may need to add some extra water to help it combine.
2. Spoon mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
Reduce the heat and whisk until thickened. Cool and spoon on top in the middle of the coconut-mango pie or all over the pie.