GF, DF, Vegetarian
Vegan egg substitute available below
Choose whatever organic seasonal vegetables you find at the market this week if you don’t have the ones listed. You can also use leftover cooked vegetables from the night before. Freshen them up with some chopped parsley or coriander before folding into the tofu mixture.
¾ cup oat flour
½ cup ground activated almonds
½ cup rice or buckwheat flour
½ teaspoon Sea or Himalayan salt
3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
Water as needed
- 300 grams blanched regular tofu
1-tablespoon organic olive or coconut oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
1 teaspoon dried herbs or 1 tablespoon fresh seasonal (rosemary, oregano, basil)
1 cup chopped onion or spring onion
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated beetroot
½ cup chopped kale or other green vegetables
2-3 eggs free-range and organic or Vegan Egg substitute **
1 tablespoon unpasteurized Shiro Miso
¼ cup almond, sesame, other nut butter or coconut oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1-teaspoon mustard
1cup cooked sweet potato
1-2 Tablespoons Shiro Miso
1-2 Tablespoons Coconut yogurt
1-2 teaspoons ginger juice
a few wild fermented vegetables*
* If you don’t have any ferments, try goji berries, grated coconut, ground nuts or seeds, grated lemon or orange rind, rosemary and dollops of yogurt. If you have ferments any will be fine. I used Wild fermented turmeric cauliflower, carrots, red cabbage and lemon sauerkraut, olives and fresh rosemary from the garden.
- In a bowl, mix together all the crust ingredients. Preheat the oven to 200C (180 C fan assisted) 400 F.
- Press into an oiled pie dish, and poke a few holes using a fork then bake for 10 minutes or until it looks light brown.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Cut the tofu and drop into boiling water 2-3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat skillet, add the oil and sauté the garlic and ginger 1-2 minutes. Then add the dry herbs and sauté another 30-60 seconds. Add the onions and continue to sauté until they are transparent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables cover and cook a few minutes. (if using cooked vegetables cook the onions till soft then add the cooked vegetables.
- Blend the tofu in a food processor and slowly add the rest of the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add a bit of water if needed till the consistency is droppable from a spoon.
- Fold in vegetables. Spoon into prepared base and bake 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend or mash the topping ingredients. Taste and adjust to your taste. Remove pie from the oven, cool slightly then spread with topping and top with ferments. if you don’t have any ferments, top with crushed almonds, goji berries and grated lemon and orange rind. Serve warm or cool.
** Vegan Egg Substitute: Use one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water to replace one egg. Freshly grind the flax seeds into a fine powder using a coffee or spice grinder. Whisk in the water until it becomes gelatinous.