Our latest Meatless Monday recipe is a Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with a beautiful, crisp mash potato topping.
High in vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6 and niacin (vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid) potatoes are also rich in minerals, including iron, copper, manganese and tryptophan. In fact, potatoes contain all twenty-one amino acids, which are the building blocks of a complete protein.
Tony’s Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
GF, DF, EF, Vegan and Vegetarian
3 cups chopped white or sweet potato (skin on)
¼ cup ginger
2 Tablespoons garlic
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped beetroot
2- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
1 cup chopped carrots
Sea or Himalayan salt to taste
miso or tamari to taste
2 cups plant milk (almond, rice, etc.)
3 tablespoon arrowroot, rice or tapioca flour
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350°F.
2. Place the potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Remove the pot from the heat and drain off all but 2⁄3 cup of the cooking water. Use a masher to mash the potatoes well. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and set aside.
3. Heat skillet, add the oil and sauté the vegetables. Lower heat cover and cook till tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add1-2 tablespoons water or stock at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until almost tender.
5. Meanwhile, combine the arrowroot, rice* or tapioca flour with the plant milk in a medium bowl, and whisk until well blended. Add the mixture to the vegetables and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with tamari and pepper to taste.
6. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a baking dish or casserole dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top.
7. Bake until lightly browned and set, about 20-30 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped shallots, if desired, and serve hot.
* To increase the flavour of rice flour, toast it in a dry skillet moving it around till it smells nutty. Then add the plant milk and whisk quickly. Season with tamari, salt and pepper to taste and mix into vegetables.