Move over, Kale. Take a backseat, Brussels sprouts. Enter Quinoa!
Above: Rice and Quinoa Pilaf with Shiitake, Bean, Kale and Snow Pea dish.
Vegan Rice and Quinoa Pilaf
GF. DF, EF , Vegan, Vegetarian
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup white or red quinoa
- 1-2 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pepper to taste
- 2 ¼-1/2 cups boiling stock or bone broth
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt to taste or miso
- ½ cup re-activated almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup goji berries (soaked)
- 2 Tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 2 shallots finely chopped
1. Roast Rice.
2. Heat oil add the spices and cook 1-2 minutes, then add the boiling stock or broth, grains, salt. Stir and bring to the boil.
3. Lower heat, cover and cook 30 minutes or bake in a preheated 175C oven until fluffy and all broth has bee absorbed. Mix together.
4. Prepare the almonds, coriander, Goji berries and shallots. Stir into pilaf just before serving. Serve with Last weeks recipe Shiitake, Kale, bean and snow pea dish.
Photography ©Paula Kimberley