Here are two of my favourite wholefood desserts with a Fermented twist. Made with fruits, nuts and spices they make a great Christmas or New Year’s dish or gift to give or serve to family and friends. You can use the ferment to flavour your favourite beverages or create a favourite healthy parfait dessert or even a yummy Christmas fruitcake!
750 gr. seasonal fruit
1/2-cup sun-dried sultanas, raisins, dates or 3 tablespoons coconut syrup
1/3 cup almonds or walnuts, chopped
2-3 teaspoons salt or 1 Tablespoon Shiro Miso
Juice of 1 lemon and rind
1 onion, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped ginger
¼ cup goji berries
Spices- 1 hot red chilli, 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, orange rind
Or for savoury flavour ½ teaspoon chilli, 1 teaspoon cumin, and fennel and coriander seed
½-1 cup (or more) Turkish, Chai or other tea or filtered water
Slices of orange or apple to cover ferment
1 litre glass jar with lid, sterilized or small jars to equal 1 litre
Chai or Turkish tea or filtered water
Time Infusion- 5-30 minutes then strain
Use 1.5- 2 teaspoons per 200 ml. of water
For a stronger infusion soak for 8 hours or overnight
- Chop and mix fruit and nuts together in a large bowl. You may want to peel peaches or other stone fruit.
- Add salt, lemon juice, onion, and spices, and mix well with a wooden spoon. Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes. This is a good time to get your jar sanitized.
- Using a wooden spoon, pack the pear mixture tightly into the jar. Pound down lightly so that the ferment is compressed and the liquid rises. Top with an apple or orange slice to keep ingredients from rising to the top.
- Cover Let sit at room temperature for 2-3 days or until you see bubbles rising and it tastes slightly fermented.
- Refrigerate. Should keep 2-3 weeks.
Holiday Goji Balls
160 gr. chopped dates or mixed fruit
115 grams activated almonds or walnuts
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Shiro miso
Few tablespoons finely chopped or blended goji berries
Drops of water (if needed)
1. Combine dates and nuts in a food processor and blend till all well combined. Add the cinnamon, miso and blend again. The mixture should stick together. Use as the base and/or just make into balls and roll in goji berries.
2. Serve with the cream dessert or drop into the glass for a hidden healthy surprise! The balls will freeze well.
Putting it all together
Fresh peach or nectarine slices
1. Put some of the date mixture into the bottom of the glass. Spoon some of the ferment over and then top with yoghurt, fresh fruit slices.Continue to layer with the date mixture, ferment, yoghurt fresh fruit, goji balls and top with coconut and blueberries. Serve chilled or at room temperature with the goji balls.