Loaded with green vegetables sweet potato, or pumpkin and lots of spices these muffins are perfect for anytime of the day or evening. You can prepare the sweet potato a day before and make some extra to spread on bread. To save time you can bake it in a baking tray and cut it up to any size you wish. This recipe makes a big batch, enough for 12 muffins which you can freeze for later.
- 100 grams mashed firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon dill seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 cup finely chopped bok choy
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
* If you are not GF, you can substitute 1 3/4 cups spelt flour for the flours listed above
- 3/ 700 gr eggs
- 125 ml extra virgin olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce or yoghurt
- 1/2 cup sweet potato or pumpkin puree.
- tamari to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons miso
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for at least 20 minutes before baking (a hot oven will help the muffin to rise). Line a 10 or 12 -hole muffin tray with muffin liners or just oil and set aside.
Optional Egg Replacement (see above)
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds plus 3 -5 Tablespoons water replaces one egg.
- Finely grind 3 Tablespoons whole flaxseeds in a blender or coffee grinder, or use 7 tablespoons pre-ground flaxseeds.
- Transfer to a bowl and beat in 5 tablespoons of water using a whisk or fork.
- It will become very gooey and gelatinous, much like an egg white.
Heat a frying pan, add oil and saute the tofu. Cook stirring to dry it out adding the tamari to taste. Steam sweet potato till soft.
Blend the wet ingredients (except for the tofu.)
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture into the dry. Fold together until just combined (over mixing will result in a dense and chewy muffin).
Fill each muffin form half full and cover with a 1/2 teaspoon of tofu then cover the tofu with the rest of the muffin mix.
Reduce the temperature to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with hummus or your favourite spread and salad.